Abigail (“Abby”) Abide Stephens joined Martin Tate in August 2018. Ms. Stephens practices in both Tennessee and Mississippi. Her practice is focused on litigating and resolving disputes for clients including business disputes/commercial litigation, construction litigation, business torts/breach of non-competition agreements, intellectual property, defamation, breach of contract claims, insurance coverage, negligence and premises liability defense, and transportation liability. In addition, Ms. Stephens advises clients regarding employment matters and in the drafting and negotiation of various contracts. Prior to joining the firm, she served as a judicial law clerk to U.S. District Court Judge Keith Starrett in the Southern District of Mississippi.
Ms. Stephens graduated first in her class at the University of Mississippi School of Law in 2017. There, she served as an Executive Articles Editor for Volume 86 of the Mississippi Law Journal and as a research assistant to Associate Dean Ben Cooper. She was the recipient of the Outstanding Student Award for the highest grade in Evidence, Property, Civil Procedure I and II, Corporations, Legal Profession, Constitutional Law, and Criminal Law.
Phone: (901) 522-9000
Fax: (901) 527-3746
- University of Mississippi School of Law, J.D. 2017, summa cum laude
- University of Mississippi Sally McDonnell Barkesdale Honors College, B.A., Southern Studies, summa cum laude
- American Inns of Court, Associate Member, Leo Bearman, Sr. American Inn of Court
- Robert J. Farley Award for Highest GPA in Graduating Law School Class
- Recipient of Outstanding Student Award for the highest grade in Evidence, Property, Civil Procedure I and II, Corporations, Legal Profession, Constitutional Law, and Criminal Law.
- All Tennessee state courts
- All Mississippi state courts
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Middle District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Tennessee
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Mississippi
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Mississippi
- Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals
Certifications and Memberships
Comment, “An Inquiry Reasonable Under the Circumstances:” Applying Rule 11 to Local Counsel, 85 Miss. L. J. 1649 (2017).