Working with a diverse spectrum of business owners, families, and high-net worth individuals, Josh advises clients in the areas of estate planning, business planning, contracts and transactions, probate, and real estate. Understanding the correlation between a family’s estate, financial, and accounting needs, Josh employs a comprehensive approach to planning—an approach that is often missing from modern planning techniques. Rather than a short-term, transactional philosophy, Josh’s practice is client-centric and built on the belief that comprehensive planning fosters a better result for his clients. To that end, Josh works regularly with financial advisors, accountants, and key business personnel to accomplish his clients’ goals. Leveraging and aligning his educational background as a J.D./M.B.A., Josh serves as outside general counsel to a number of closely-held businesses. Josh is a member of the Memphis Estate Planning Council, a past Chairman of the Estate Planning and Probate Section of the Memphis Bar Association, and was nominated for membership in the Southeast Fellows Institute of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel. Josh has been recognized as a Rising Star by Mid-South Super Lawyers and was selected for membership in the American Inns of Court.
Prior to practicing law, Josh served in the United States Marine Corps, completing two combat deployments. For his service, Josh was awarded a Combat Action Ribbon, two Naval and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, and was selected by his local unit and the Chattanooga Marine Corps League as the 2007 Marine of the Year. Josh serves on the board of Memphis Gridiron Ministries and volunteers as a youth football coach in the Binghampton community. Josh, his wife Melissa, and their three children are members of Second Presbyterian Church where Josh serves as a deacon.
- Note, The Standard of Care: The Road Not Taken – Using County Size to Determine the Standard of Care, 43 U. Mem. L. Rev. 35 (2013).
- Comment, Alternative Dispute Resolution—Tuetken v. Tuetken: Reinforcing the Duty of the Court to Protect the Best Interest of the Child, 42 U. Mem. L. Rev. 831 (2012).
- Column, A Matter of Perspective - Blessed to Serve, Memphis Lawyer Magazine, April, 2013.
- Column, The Past is Prologue After All - 50 & Counting, Memphis Lawyer Magazine, February, 2013.
- Estate Planning: Preparation of simple and complex revocable and irrevocable trusts, wills, powers of attorney and other planning documents
- Probate Administration: Assists Personal Representatives in all aspects of Probate, including contested and uncontested administrations
- Business: Drafting and negotiating partnership and corporate documents, including a variety of contracts, asset and stock purchase agreements, LLC Agreements and other related entity documentation.
- Economic Development/State and Local Tax: Advises applicants and recipients of Payment-in-Lieu-of-Tax (PILOT) incentives on all aspects of Environmental and Diversity compliance reporting to state and local agencies
- Commercial Real Estate: Assists individuals and businesses with the negotiation, acquisition, and sale of commercial real estate
- Property Tax Appeals: Filed and argued numerous commercial and residential property tax appeals before various county and state administrative agencies