Joshua L. Baker is an associate at Martin, Tate, Morrow and Marston, P.C., practicing in the areas of Estate Planning, Probate Administration, Economic Development, State and Local Tax, Commercial Real Estate, and Civil Litigation.
Josh received his B.A. from the University of Tennessee and his J.D./M.B.A. from the University of Memphis, Cecil C. Humphreys School of Law and Fogelman College of Business and Economics. While in law school, Josh served on the Senior Editorial Board of the University of Memphis Law Review, was a member of the National Moot Court Team, and served as an editing assistant to Professor Andrew J. McClurg. Josh is a member of the American, Tennessee, and Memphis Bar Associations, and currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Memphis Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Division, co-chairing the Public Service Committee. Josh’s previous work experience includes clerkships for the Office of Senator Bob Corker in Washington D.C. and the Office of the General Counsel at the University of Tennessee Health Science Center.
Prior to law school, Josh served as a Sergeant in the United States Marine Corps, completing two combat deployments as an infantry squad leader and howitzer section chief. Josh was awarded a Combat Action Ribbon, two Naval and Marine Corps Achievement Medals, and was selected by his local unit and the Chattanooga Marine Corps League as the 2007 Marine of the Year. Josh and his wife Melissa are members of Second Presbyterian Church.
- Note, The Standard of Care: The Road Not Taken – Using County Size to Determine the Standard of Care, 43 U. Mem. L. Rev. 35 (2013).
- Comment, Alternative Dispute Resolution—Tuetken v. Tuetken: Reinforcing the Duty of the Court to Protect the Best Interest of the Child, 42 U. Mem. L. Rev. 831 (2012).
- Column, A Matter of Perspective - Blessed to Serve, Memphis Lawyer Magazine, April, 2013.
- Column, The Past is Prologue After All - 50 & Counting, Memphis Lawyer Magazine, February, 2013.
- Estate Planning: Preparation of simple and complex revocable and irrevocable trusts, wills, powers of attorney and other planning documents
- Probate Administration: Assists Personal Representatives in all aspects of Probate, including contested and uncontested administrations
- Economic Development/State and Local Tax: Advises applicants and recipients of Payment-in-Lieu-of-Tax (PILOT) incentives on all aspects of Environmental and Diversity compliance reporting to state and local agencies
- Commercial Real Estate: Assists individuals and businesses with the negotiation, acquisition, and sale of commercial real estate
- Property Tax Appeals: Filed and argued numerous commercial and residential property tax appeals before various county and state administrative agencies
- Civil Litigation: Represented businesses and individuals in state and federal courts on various claims, with a focus on a transportation liability and commercial litigation